Monday, April 6, 2009

Happy Opening Day!

Today is one of my favorite days of the year, it's opening day for the Mariners. Anyone who knows me knows how much I love baseball, win or lose. I have since the first game I ever went to. I remember it well. I wasn't sure about the date until I did some searching on the internet. It turns out the first game I ever went to was on August 2nd, 1968.

Dad took Ady and me to Dodger Stadium to see them take on the Mets. Dad was a big Dodger fan back then. There were some kids sitting right behind us who spent the whole game saying "Yay fo' da Dodgers, boo fo' da Mets". Ady, do you remember?

The Mets ended up beating the Dodgers 3 to 2, but it was so much fun. It's hard to see below but to see the whole box score, click on this link:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/LAN/LAN196808020.shtml




Not too many years later we moved to Kansas City, where Dad would take Ady and me to games at the old Municipal Stadium downtown to watch the games.





Then the Royals build their fancy new stadium in the supburbs and Dad would drop us off before the game, but pick us up right around the 7th inning so we could avoid the after game crowds.




There were years of baseball in between, but I'm sure most of our kids will agree that some of their best baseball experiences were in section 317 of the King Dome. Not that the seats were great but they could always count on achieving their goal of being seen on the Diamond Vison screen.

I could create a whole blog about my baseball experiences alone, but for now, I'll go home and have a hot dog and maybe some apple pie and optimistically enjoy the day.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Such great memories of baseball games. Happy first day of the season.

The VanderHoevens said...

Two words - GO BRAVES! - Valerie

Sirrine said...

Go Baltimore!!!! Anyways, hey Aunt Karen, do you remember when you, me and uncle Bob went to the M's game? I think it was in 200(???). Anyways, we should do that again.