Saturday, June 7, 2008

Competition? Bring it on!!


First of all, let me say that I have by no means covered all or even scratched the surface when it comes to my favorite things. I think I'll just write about some of them every now and then. If I kept going with writing about my favorite things, it would take me months and I would never be able to write about anything else. Today was great. Only 2 days ago I got an email from my former boss, and Pam's current boss, Holly. She knows how competative our family is and she knows how much we like doing things together. As I said before, Our family doesn't just talk about how much fun it would be to do something, we actually do it. Holly had learned about an event called the Great Urban Race, which was to be held on June 7th. Similar to the Great Race, a reality TV show, teams received clues and had to travel by public transportation or on foot, to about 12 sites throughout Seattle. For the most part we had to take pictures of ourselves in locations that make Seattle unique. Although Holly didn't think we would actually do it on such short notice, we formed 3 teams of 2 (that was all that were allowed on a team), made "VanderHoeven Machine" t-shirts, and were at the starting line before most other teams, at 11:00 this morning. We have always wanted "VanderHoeven Machine" t-shirts and this was our excuse to make them. We got our clues at noon and headed for Seattle Center to fulfil our first task and to plan our strategy. Unfortunately, we had just finished our 2nd task and were about 10 minutes into the event, when Pam twisted her ankle. She was in terrible pain and there was no way I thought she could go on. What was I thinking? She limped a few steps and Jeff told her to walk it off. "Don't stop or it will stiffen up". To make a long story short, we probably walked 5 or more miles today and crossed the finish line in a respectable 3 hours. There was no rule against teams working together so even though we had 3 teams, we were actually only one. When we had our photo's checked and learned that we had all accomplished the assigned tasks, we finally had a chance to sit down. Pam took off her shoe and her ankle looked like a big blue baseball. As with everything my family does, we laughed and joked about how Pam could possibly have run up and down the hills of Seattle for so many miles with her foot looking like that. Anyone who knows Pam, or really anyone else in our family, would know that her finishing the race was never in question.


What a fun day! Let's find another one and do it again. I know we could cut at least 1/2 hour off of our time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey you forgot about your "support" team at the hospital!