Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Life in the Not-so-fast Lane


Is there anything worse than car problems? Anyone who knows my family knows that we don't have car problems, they are simply not allowed. Bob and Jared are both very talented mechanics who are known for helping others when their cars break down. I can always count on getting in my car, turning the key and knowing it will run. I am responsible for having my own oil changed, but the rest is out of my hands.

The other day I drove to work without a care. There was not hint of a problem until I got into the parking garage, came to a complete stop, and put my car in reverse. It stalled and wouldn't start again. I had to have it pushed into a parking spot by some people who were passing by. Later that night Bob and I went back to see if we (ok, he) could figure out the problem. It didn't take long for him to diagnose a problem with the timing belt. The next day I had the car towed home at a cost of $147 (yikes). He was right, it was the timing belt, but I have an "interferance" engine, which means nothing to me except big bucks. I was advised to rent a car for a minimum of a week while he removed the head and has some valve work done. UGH!!


There is a silver lining to every cloud. Jared has his busiest time of the year in July with tournaments and working 7 days a week. Tonight, during a break, he came over to help take the head off of the car. When Jared is around, what is normally very hard work, somehow becomes fun.


Fortunately, I paid for my October vacation today so we're going to have to find the car repair money someplace else. Phew!!

1 comment:

Brooks and Heather Lively said...

haha...I like how you are glad you already paid for vacation! Very optimistic, but of course when are you NOT optimistic?!?!